Saturday, February 12, 2011

A recipe to savor and share. . . Apple Butter

Over the last 3 years, my husband Stephen and I have been making apple butter. I absolutely love going apple picking in the fall and find the flavors of apple butter to be fantastic year round.
So we drive out to my favorite apple picking place in New Jersey (no matter where I live, I will always go there!) and load up on our favorite varieties. Steve has always loved tart apples, while I prefer sweet. We usually come home with between 40 and 50 pounds of apples in the following varieties. Braeburn, Golden Delicious, Fuji and Stayman Winesap.

Bringing home all of these apples the first season sent me searching for a wonderful apple butter recipe.
Every recipe I have found for pie and apple butter calls for using tart apples. Being a fan of the sweeter varieties, I use my favorites instead. The flavor is just as delicious and in pies Gala apples stand up really well, especially if they are fresh! I had hoped that mixing in a few sweet apples would make this apple butter unique and with all the requests I have gotten for it over the last few years, I think we have a winner.

I have altered this recipe many, many times to get it just perfect!

I hope you enjoy it.

Homemade Apple Butter

6 lbs. Apples (I use a mix of Stayman Winesap, Fuji and Braeburn)
2 qt  water or apple juice
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoonful cinnamon
1/2 teaspoonful ground cloves

Tools needed

Large pot
Food processor or food mill
Long handled spoon for stirring
Mason jars (if canning)

Core and quarter the apples (skin on or off, it's your choice) Once the apples have been quartered, cut the quarters in half. This allows for them to fit better into the pot, cook more evenly and fit better into the food processor.
Combine the apples and water(or juice) in a large pot. Cook apples until tender, stirring occasionally. Put everything through the food processor or food mill until smooth (basically applesauce at this point)

Transfer contents back into your pot and cook until the fruit is thick enough to round up in a spoon, anywhere from 5 to 8 hours. This part is all about personal preference. Some like their apple butter really thick, while others like it more like a flavored applesauce.

Add sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Continue cooking slowly until mixture thickens back up, about an hour.

If you are canning the Apple Butter, pour into hot sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch from the top of the jar. Adjust lids.
Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes approximately 6 pints of Apple Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment